Packing up a kitchen can be challenging during a move because you need cookware and food to make a meal! This week we share some tips and tasty recipes to use during your move.
The best thing for your health and your budget is to plan ahead! If you’re moving over several days, inventory your refrigerator 2-3 weeks before your move. Plan your meals around the items that you have to reduce waste. The day before your move ready for your meals by filling a plastic storage container with the following:
- Recipe Ingredients
- Plastic Utensils
- Paper Plates, paper cups and napkins
- Can opener
- Medium bowl
- Large Spoon
- Wine Opener/Beer bottle opener (there is a good chance you’ll be looking for this after your move!)
Load your food container last, and store in an easy location to access throughout the move. If you have friends helping you move or if you’re hiring Moving Helpers, label the container “Kitchen” to ensure it gets put in the right room on move-in day.
Here are 9 non refrigerated food recipes to help you get through the last supper in your old home and the first supper in your new home:
- Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches: This is as simple as it sounds, if you want to make it fancy, then substitute your regular peanut butter for Nutella!
- Oatmeal: Spice up some simple instant oatmeal with a dab of honey, dried cranberries and slivered almonds. Cook in a paper cup in the microwave according to package instructions.
- Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches: Simply mix up ½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce with one can of white meat chicken, and throw it on some bread! If you want to add a little tang, then add a dash of dill relish to the mix.
- Tuna and Crackers: A can of tuna and individual packages of mayo, mustard and relish can be packed along with bread or crackers. Just pop the top on the tuna, mix in the mayo, mustard and relish and spread on bread or crackers. Salmon works for this, too.
- Salmon and Potato Salad: Plan ahead for this recipe by mixing all ingredients together except the canned potatoes and Salmon. Store in a quart-sized bag until ready to use.
- Tuna salad and Chickpea Pizza: Plan ahead for this recipe by measuring out the seasoning and putting it in a snack size bag. Dice up the jar of peppers and add them to the vinegar and store in a sandwich bag. Make sure you purchase the non-perishable cheese with the green lid. This is meant to be stored at room temperature, even after it is opened.
- Chili Cheese Spuds: This is a simple 3 ingredient recipe. All you need is a can of your favorite chili, 4 small pre-wrapped baking potatoes and a small package of 2% Velveeta cheese. Cook the potatoes according to package instructions. Once cooked, slice the potato in half on paper plate. Add chili to the top of each potato. Slice up the cheese and place on top. Return the potatoes to the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Coconut Fruit Salad: This is a light and refreshing dessert that will taste great after a long day of moving! Serve this in an ice cream cone to add some crunch and make if fun for the kids!
- Peanut Butter Balls: My mom made these for me when I was a kid with chocolate chips! Depending on the outside temperatures you may want to skip the chocolate.
Snacks: Check out our healthy snacks for your move post.
All of these recipes can be made in under 10 minutes, so skip the drive through and make moving meals that are healthy and delicious!
Do you have great travel friendly recipes? Please share them with the community in our comments section!