Can you put a car seat in a moving truck?

– Jennifer M. Seattle, WA

Car Seat

Moving with a baby. Photo via BusyMommyMedia

Jennifer, this is a very tricky question, thank you for bringing it up. According to NHTSA’s Parents Central recommendation, Young children under the age of 12 and those in car seats are safest seated in the back seat.  Although most moving trucks are equipped with air bags, they may not satisfy local requirements for car seats. Also, since no moving trucks have a back seat, moving with a child in a car seat may require you to come up with an alternative.  If you have a second driver, you can have that driver take the child with the car seat, then they can follow you in the moving truck.  If you have several family members, keep in mind that most moving trucks will seat 2-3 passengers with safety restraints.  For larger families, or those with only one driver, we also recommend driving your own vehicle and moving your belongings with U-Box Moving containers.

For more tips on moving with a baby, read this post from our friend Rachel at BusyMommyMedia!

Was this answer helpful? Give us a thumbs up or thumbs down below!

Tagged with →

8 Responses to Can You Put a Car Seat in a Moving Truck?

1. chuck says:

Useless advice. Obviously putting a car seat in a separate vehicle and driving two is a solution. Is that at all related to what we are asking?

• Paige E Paige E says:

Hi Chuck, it’s not safe to put a car seat with a baby in a moving truck since no moving trucks have a back seat,and that’s the safest place for a baby in a car seat. Moving with a child in a car seat may require you to come up with an alternative. Did you have any other questions or concerns?

2. Nicole says:

I’m really trying not to drive my car going 1400 miles because I am on a tight budget, but I have myself, another adult and a 4 and 5 yr old. I am not liking the fact of breaking any laws going from Missouri to Nevada, but really has anyone drove this far with four people in a three seater truck?

• Paige E Paige E says:

Hi Nicole, I understand your situation, but what you are asking very dangerous. U-Haul does not recommend that you drive a 3-seat truck with 4 people, especially children.

3. Crystal says:

My question is;
    Can I take my rear facing car seat (baby) and my seven year old in the Uhaul with me?
    We are moving 1300 miles away.
    I can not afford a U box.
    I LITERALLY have JUST enough for the Uhaul and Tow Dolly for my car and the Gas it will take.
    I have to get out of the situation I am in ASAP!

• Paige E Paige E says:

The 7 year old child should be fine as long as they meet the state’s height/weight requirement to ride in a vehicle without a car seat. However the rear facing infant seat cannot be in the cab of the truck because of the possible injury during an airbag deployment.

4. tonya says:

maybe they should start making a backseat for u-haul trucks because if this is the only option to have your child riding with you and you have no one else than it messed up because you are pure out of luck.