If you are moving in New York, then you have probably rented a moving truck, cargo van or trailer.  In New York, moving equipment rentals are classified as commercial vehicles, so there are parkway restrictions you must be aware of.  One of the reasons moving equipment is considered commercial,  is that it is branded with a company name,  such as U-Haul.  According to NYC  DOT,  commercial vehicles, trucks and tractor trailers are not allowed on New York State parkways.  The image below shows some of the parkways that are open or closed to commercial vehicles.

New York Parkway Restrictions

Why can’t moving trucks go on Parkways?

One of the reasons commercial vehicles (including moving trucks) are not allowed on New York parkways is that they were designed for automobiles, and many of the bridges have as little as a 6’11” clearance.  If a commercial vehicle can not clear the bridge and gets stuck,  it can cause serious accidents that result in traffic delays while the vehicle gets removed.  Not to mention you’ll receive a fine and points on your drivers license.  The NYC DOT advises people not to rely solely on GPS units when driving commercial vehicles, but also to keep your eye out for signs indicating whether commercial vehicles are allowed.  You definitely don’t want to end up in a scenario like below!! That can’t be good for your household goods or moving truck.

New York parkway restrictions

What should you do about New York Parkway restrictions?

If you are moving in New York, the best thing to do is plan ahead.  Start by downloading this PDF for a complete list of restricted parkways in Downstate New York, and plan your route.  Also, keep in mind that there are other streets in the city where commercial vehicles are restricted, such as portions of Fifth Avenue, Park Avenue and the Brooklyn Bridge.  For a complete list and other information on driving commercial vehicles in New York, visit nyc.gov.

The best advice New York Department of Transportation gives is to stay off the parkways. There are many alternative routes. Staying on the interstates is a good tip as well as paying attention to the “no truck” signs and you can’t go wrong! Contact NY DOT for more questions here or via email at NYMoving@dot.ny.gov.

Tagged with →

39 Responses to Moving in New York: Parkway Restrictions

1. ed says:

Can you drive on the Belt with a small utility trailer attached to a passenger vehicle?

• Paige E says:

Hi Ed, thanks for your question. You can’t tow a trailer on parkway, even with a passenger vehicle.

• debbie says:

I have read every piece of literature from NYC DOT, I have called 2 precinct’s and have gotten many, many different opinions concerning a small tow vehicle on Belt Pkway. The trailer is not branded. There is nothing written anywhere pertaining to my specific issue, Nowhere. All of the written data is directed to COMMERCIAL vehicles and BRANDED vehicles such as uhaul. Is there anything I can get my hands on to disprove this no-no about personal vehicle towing? Appreciate any help

• Paige E says:

Hi Debbie, I’m sorry you’ve had such trouble with getting the right answer. I spoke to a representative at NYS DOT and they gave me this document that outlines the specific rules and regulations.

2. jo says:

Can we drive a uhaul cargo van? or a uhaul 15′ truck into inwood?

• Paige E says:

Hi Jolene, Parkway’s are for passenger vehicles only. In New York, U-Haul cargo vans are considered a commercial vehicle because of the advertising and no third seat (or jump seat) so law enforcement will stop the vehicle and issue a warning or ticket depending on the officer.

3. LeAnn Knight says:

Can you travel on the parkways with a motor home?

• Paige E says:

Hi LeAnn, one of the major points of the parkway restrictions is that there are low clearance bridges that pass over most of these. That being said many commercial vehicles, especially with high clearance, such as a motor home/RV would likely not be able to pass under these bridges.

4. Aimee Coronel says:

Can a passenger vehicle towing a small uhaul trailer go over the GWB and take the Major Deegan Expwy to the Triborough Bridge and then exit in Astoria?

Or can the same vehicle take the same route but then use the BQE to get to Jackson Heights area?

Thank you!

5. Sara says:

Im trying to move into the upper west side of manhattan from CT. How can I get my UHaul truck down the west side as the west side highway is the henry hudson parkway and trucks arent allowed. Can you give me advice on what roads to take?

• Paige E says:

Hi Sara, Since motorists cannot use parkways you would instead have to use expressways and local roads. You did not specify where on the Upper West Side of Manhattan you were moving. However, we would advise to get to Interstate 87 on your way from Connecticut and go south, then take exit 3 (138th St) take a right and go west across the bridge and over to Malcolm X Blvd. Then take a left and go south on Malcolm X Blvd to West 110th St and take a right. Proceed west until you get to Broadway, then take a left and head south until you’ve reached the area of the Upper West Side you’re headed to.

6. Can a rental truck come through the lincoln tunnel? whats the best route to e. 79th st?

7. Ed Schale says:

Hi, can I take friends to JFK using our churches 16 passenger van? It has the church name written on the sides and back. I’m coming from Penna, and I would like to use Belt Pkwy ( Cross Island). Thanks , Ed

8. Jon says:

How do I get to the Verrazanor Bridge from 495, leaving Suffolk County, towing my non commercial utility trailer with my car?

9. Eric says:

Moving from Nashville to the East Village towing a small trailer. Where should I stay (hotel with parking for trailer) and how should I plan on getting there?

• Paige E says:

We would recommend calling a U-Haul center near where you are moving for a more detailed answer than we could give you. You can find the closest location here!

10. Carlos says:

Can I drive work van on palisades park way

11. Gary Friesner says:

I’m moving from Chicago to New York.I’ll be driving a U Haul truck which New York says it’s a commercial truck. Is there any maps that just shows truck routes??? I’m actually moving into the Brooklyn area. I just need a truck route to get me there. Can you help me ????

12. Kevin says:

Hello,
    Would a 10 passenger van be allowed on the FDR?

13. Gina says:

Hi, I saw you advised another customer on an alternate route to avoid parkways. In my case, I am moving into Bushwick and GPS advises we take the Jackie Robinson Parkway to enter Brooklyn. Is there another local route you recommend? I’ll be coming from I-678 S and should be taking the Jackie Robinson Parkway all the way to my destination. I’m in East Bushwick directly next to the Evergreens Cemetary.

Thank you. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Paige E says:

Hi Gina, there are many alternative routes. Staying ON the interstates and OFF the parkways is a good tip as well as paying attention to the “no truck” signs and you can’t go wrong! You can contact NY DOT for more here or via email at NYMoving@dot.ny.gov. This PDF can help too.

14. Joey says:

I am traveling to the East Side (27th and 2nd Ave) from CT with a cargo van. How do you recommend I travel since I cannot the the FDR, etc.? Thank you.

• Paige E says:

Hi Joey, there are many alternative routes. Staying ON the interstates and OFF the parkways is a good tip as well as paying attention to the “no truck” signs and you can’t go wrong! You can contact NY DOT for more here or via email at NYMoving@dot.ny.gov. This PDF can help too.

15. Victor says:

Can I tow my car with a front wheel tow dolly using a passenger vehicle on the Belt Parkway ?

16. Jay says:

Hello I would like to know if I can travel on the Belt Pkwy with a passenger car while pulling a non commercial, 12 foot enclosed trailer with no lettering on it? Thank you.

17. andy weintraub says:

Hi, I need to drive a U-Haul truck across the Washington Bridge and go south on Amsterdam Avenue to 113th street. How would I go after getting off the bridge?

18. bill says:

I want to pull a trailer from va to Brooklyn