1960s How Much Can You Load Into A Trailer Demo

What do you think you can fit in U-Haul trailers?

Packing for a move can be stressful enough without having to worry about objects that do not fit into a cardboard box. But unfortunately, there’s no way around it. The staple pieces that make a house a home, your loveseat, your bed, your dining room table, have to come with you and you need to figure out what to put them in. Because dimensions of U-Haul trailers vary, you are going to want to be sure about what size trailer you need. Here are a few options:

Small Trailer

The smallest cargo trailer is 4 ft. x 8 ft. in size. Small and narrow items will fit best in this trailer, like:

• a loveseat (standard size 64” x 37” x 37”)Enclosed4x8Dimensions
  • a standard twin size bed
  • a 3 seat sofa (standard size 35” x 84”)

Because this trailer has a low rear deck, this might also be your best bet if you have smaller but heavier pieces, like a recliner or dresser.

Medium Trailer

Your next option is the most commonly used trailer, the 5 ft. x 8 ft. cargo trailer. This is where you can transport your wider pieces, such as:

• standard full and queen sized bedsEnclosed5x8Dimensions
  • square dining room tables
  • rounded couches

Large Trailer

For your more awkward, larger or unconventional pieces, you will probably need a bigger trailer. The biggest cargo trailer available is the 6 ft. x 12 ft. option. In this trailer you can fit things like:

• standard king sized bedsEnclosed6x12Dimensions
  • L-shaped couches
  • other rare pieces (pianos, pool tables, etc.)

Remember that a lot of these pieces will be heavier than you think, so you are going to want to make sure you have the right tools to get the job done safely, like a dolly and moving pads. Also, make sure to check if any of the larger pieces disconnect for easier arrangement and transportability.

So before you make your cargo trailer rental reservation, make sure to measure your furniture and get the right size, and remember to leave room for your boxes too! Figuring out these small details ahead of time can save you some big headaches on moving day.

Are you still having trouble figuring out what trailer is right for you? Our Trailer Rental Guide can give you more insight on what trailer works best for your needs.

Do you have a creative way of making use of space when moving your larger items? Let us know in the comments below!

Tagged with →

40 Responses to Will it fit: Dimensions of U-Haul Trailers

1. Mike says:

I was able to get a standard king mattress to fit into the 6′x12′ trailer, it did sag and had to bend a bit to fit through the door.

2. Greg G. says:

What about box springs?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Hi Greg,
      If you are asking if box springs will fit in trailers, the answer is yes. The box spring will fit in the same trailer as the matching mattress.

3. Latoya says:

can a standard king size bed with l-shaped couch and dresser 2 nightstandfit in 6×12 cargo trailer

4. Jim Boykin says:

I need to know the outside dimensions of the 5 x 8 utility trailer. I am trying to see if it will fit between my deck and retaining wall.

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Jim, the 5×8 utility trailer is 75&1/2″ at the widest exterior point. Just to be sure you get the right info, the 5×8 cargo trailer is 79&3/4″ at the widest exterior point and the 5×9 utility trailer is 80&1/2″ at the widest exterior point. Hope this helps!

5. Anthony Valenti says:

Would a standard dining table and hutch with 6 chairs squeeze into a 5×8 trailer if I took the legs off table? i can also fit a couple maybe even three chairs in the back of my SUV pulling trailer. THoughts?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Great question Anthony! The inner dimensions of a 5×8 cargo trailer are 8′ x 4’8″ x 5’4″ (LxWxH) so based on a standard dining room measurement (36” W x 72” L), the answer would be yes. However, this depends on the size of your chairs. Good luck with your move!

6. Shirley Graham says:

can i put a refrigerator in a trailer

7. michael says:

will a standard full size bed and spring fit the 10′ uhaul truck

8. Gene says:

what is the width of the loading ramp?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Gene,

The loading ramps are 2’2″ and they are the same on all trucks. If you want more information about dimensions, visit here and find the truck size you will be renting. Hope that helps!

9. tameka says:

I’m going to pick up a few items tomorrow. A sofa love seat queen mattress set 2 twin seta 3 dressers small kitchen table and chairs what size truck do you recommend?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Hi Tameka,

Sorry for the delayed response. It really does depend on the size of the table, chairs and sofa. However, if they are on the smaller side than you could probably use a 14′ truck which holds a 2 bedroom apartment. On the larger side you would want a 20′ truck which holds a home up to 3 bedrooms. For more information on truck sizes, visit http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/. Thanks!

Diana

10. brandon says:

Hi was wondering if I could get 3 bedroom house in the biggest cargo trailer available

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Hi Brandon,

The biggest cargo trailer is the 6′x12′ one with 400 cubic feet of storage. We generally recommend the 20′ truck for a 3 bedroom home. It has 1,015 cubic feet of storage, so as you can see, they are significantly different in size. Hope this helps and if you have more questions about trailer sizes, please visit. http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

Thanks.
      Diana

11. Mike says:

We just moved our eldest daughter to college for her first year. Our youngest will be going in 2 years. Well we didn’t need a trailer this time, but we had a minivan that was stuffed. The entire back behind the quad chairs was jam packed. We put a Thule bag on top that was pretty full, and we borrowed a bike rack from inlaws and let her take a bike. Needless to say, I had to check the tires periodically. There is a chance our youngest daughter may go to the same college. If that happens we will have to have a hitch installed as we can’t move them separately in 2 moves (Illinois to Alabama). Can you recommend a size trailer? I know it’s early but I like to be ready to make decisions quickly when the time comes. Thanks

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Hi Mike,

It really does depend on how much stuff your daughter is taking with her, but usually the 4′x8′ trailer would be enough space for the average college student since odds are that space is limited anyway. You can find specific dimensions for each trailer here http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/. Hope this helps!

Diana

12. Mike says:

Oh, and the university supplies the bed furniture and living room furniture, so we didn’t need to worry about transporting any of that

13. Mike says:

Can I fit a full sized mattress into the 4X8 Trailer on the diagonal? Everything else I have is relatively small and could be packed into the corners.

14. Mike says:

Can I fit a full sized mattress into a 4×8 Trailer on the diagonal? Everything else I have is small and can fit in the corners.

15. Sharon says:

I see in the question above the diagonal for the 4X8, what is the diagonal for the 5X8, and is this the door opening or the inside. I have a queen box and mattress and want to make sure I can get it in the door opening of a 5X8. Thanks.

16. chris morrell says:

I called U hual before renting a tow behind 6 x 12 trailer to ask if it could hold 2 bedrooms… the answer I received was ” with room to spare.” When I got to u haul to pick it up and I inquired again, the response was laughter. Can you please advice, should I be able to get two bedrooms in the trailer?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Chris,

It really depends on how much stuff you have and how big your furniture is. The best way to know for sure will be to measure your belongings and compare that to the dimensions of the 6×12 trailer, which you can find here: http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=RV.

I apologize that you had a negative experience with our representatives. If you’d like to further discuss that or file a complaint, please email your information to uhaul_cares@uhaul.com and an agent will reach out.

Hope this helps!
      Diana

17. Amy says:

We are a large family moving from a 3 bedroom apartment. However, we are quite minimal in our possessions and we have moved with a cargo van and a small flatbed trailer before. We are going to try to get the following in this trailer because we cannot afford a truck for our cross country move and our van can tow this trailer easily. 1 king bed and box spring, a disassembled crib and mattress, two small dressers, and 4 twin mattresses, no box springs/frames, and a small dining set. Boxes of our basic clothing and dishes, favorite toys and book. Most of our stuff (living room furniture, bikes, etc) we will sell at a yard sale before we go. We need money more than things at this point! Do you think this will work? It kind of has to…we really can’t afford the rental + mileage on a truck and we have to drive our van so we can fit the kids so we’d be paying double gas…a large cargo trailer is the only option I can see!

18. Amy says:

We are moving our large family two states away and this is the only option we can afford. We are going to try to fit our very basics in, and we’ll leave the rest behind. Right now the plan is to fit the following: 1 king mattress and box springs, 4 twin mattresses (no boxes), a disassembled small bunk bed (takes up little space), a disassembled crib and mattress, two small dressers, and our very basic necessities in boxes. We moved out here with more than this stuffed into a full size cargo fan and the back of a Ford Explorer stuffed. I think we will be going back with less so I am crossing my fingers this will work! We just cannot afford the gas and rental fee for a truck. This cargo trailer we can tow behind our 8 passenger Chevy Astro and it will cost us 1/2 the price of a truck with no gas or mileage. Its really our only option. Minimalism is my mantra. We have to make it work and I guess if it doesn’t fit it doesn’t go! I guess I am looking for a little bit of reassurance though…what do you think? Is this doable?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

Amy,

It would really depend on the size of your trailer. If it is a larger trailer, you shouldn’t have a problem. You might have to get creative with some organizing some of your items if it is a smaller trailer. You could measure your trailer and compare it to the measurements of these trailers to get an idea of how much space you are working with: http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/.

Hope this helps and good luck on your move!
      Diana

19. Amy says:

Sorry for the double post…feel free to delete one. The first one seemed to get lost (it told me to refresh the page and submit again and when I did it wasn’t on the page!) so I had to start over. Oops!

20. John says:

I am planning to move a full-sized bed, mattress, box and three small bureaus in a 5 by 8 trailer. Will there be much space left over for a couple of chairs?

• Diana Hernandez Diana Hernandez says:

John,

It would depend on the size of the bureaus and if you are using a cargo or utility trailer, but if you make sure to organize everything well, you should have space. Here are the specific dimensions which might help you figure that out. Hope this helps: http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/

Diana

21. bob says:

I have a queen size bed and box, can I use a 6 x 12 u-haul trailer. Does it fit ?

22. Hello, I would like to know (before I rent) if a cargo van (rented by Enterprise) will hold a king size mattress and box springs.

Ask a question or give us your feedback!