The day is finally here. You get to move into your new home! Make sure you arrive before your moving truck and movers do so that you can begin prepping your new house to move in. Here’s how:
Days before you move in, you’ll want to make sure several services are working in your new home.
- Call your electric company to ensure that the AC/heat and lights will be functioning by the time you move in. Who wants to move into a warm home during the summer, a cold home during the winter, or in the dark?
- You’ll need water to use during move in day, so communicate with your water company to make sure it’s running by the time you get in.
- Talk with your mailing service so that your mail is re-routed to your new address days before you move in.
- Make sure you have your trash and recycling cans set up, since you’ll have plenty to throw away and recycle
Clean, Clean, Clean
You face the daunting task of cleaning every surface of your new home, but it needs to be done.
- Dust inside all cabinets, closets, and other closed-off areas where dust may accumulate.
- Wipe counters and surfaces down, and mop and vacuum floors.
- If cleaning your carpets, consider renting a Rug Doctor from your nearest U-Haul location.
- If your stuff has been in storage or traveling for sometime, you’ll want to dust off and wipe down furniture coming out of the moving truck and before entering your new home.
Have a Plan
- Don’t be afraid to (nicely) dictate orders on moving day. You’ll be able to effectively manage everyone’s time by assigning tasks.
- Know which rooms you’ll want to set up first so that you can coordinate which boxes to move and unpack first. If you used Smart Move Tape it’ll be easy to group boxes and separate them accordingly to each room.
- Make sure you have an eating plan and enough food to last through moving day and breakfast the next day.
- If you’ll be moving with pets or children you may consider finding a sitter to take care of them while you’re busy.
Take Your Time
Moving doesn’t have to happen all in one day. You can designate your time where you unpack and set up a room everyday. Take a moment to relax, because moving day is a big day in anyone’s life.
Have you recently planned a move to a new house? How did you prepare for it? Share your tips in the comments below!