Juggling your life is challenging enough without trying to juggle your move. Here are some tips that can help you when it comes to packing.
- Take a few moments and plan out how you are going to pack. How do you want things to look when you are done? You definitely want to work smarter, not harder when it comes to your upcoming move.
- Over estimate the amount of time it will take to pack by 50 percent. When you are working behind schedule it just adds to the level of frustration and makes the move even more stressful on your family. Conversely, it will be a great feeling to be done with your packing and realize you are ahead of schedule.
- Gather more moving supplies than you think you will need. Nothing is worse than being in the middle of a productive move and running out of tape. Stores like U-Haul have a great return policy so you typically can return items not used. Actually, at U-Haul they have an eco-friendly approach where you can return “used” boxes so others can reuse them.
- Boxes should be the right “handling” size for you. You are not as young as you used to be, so do your back a favor and don’t pack books in extra large boxes. Use the right size boxes for the right items you are packing, which can easily be moved afterwards.
- Any items that you need while packing, driving or unpacking should be packed last, as well as the boxes marked and placed where you can easily find them. Sometimes it’s the basic things like scissors, drinking cups or a roll of toilet paper that can make or break having a positive move.
- If you need help packing, you can always hire Moving Helpers to do the packing and/or loading for you. You provide the moving supplies and they will provide the labor help.
Finally, keep thinking of the big picture and don’t sweat the small stuff. Every move will have its unexpected challenges so expect the unexpected and roll with it.