The holidays are winding down, and it’s almost time to pack up all of your festive decorations. What’s the best way to store holiday decor while preserving it for years to come? Below, we’ll share with you some of the best products and storage tips for storing your items.
- Purchase specially-made storage containers when available. When it comes to holiday decor, you want things to be easy. After all, each year you must unpack and pack the items entirely. To save time, purchase storage containers that are made specifically for the item which you are storing. Below are some of our favorite examples.
- Christmas Wreath Storage Bags– This bag is big enough to accommodate large wreaths, and is stack-able with a handle which makes it super convenient.
- Christmas Tree Storage Bags– Getting the Christmas tree back into it’s original box is no easy feat. This bag saves time, frustration, and will last longer than the box the tree came in.
- Store decorations in a temperate and dry area. Since you will be storing these items for nearly an entire year, you’ll want to be sure to place them in a cool and dry storage area, such as an attic (if insulated) or closet to protect from humidity and harsh temperatures. If you live in an extremely cold, hot, or humid climate which can damage your decorations, consider a small climate controlled storage unit if you don’t have room inside the house.
- Make room for boxes! Designate a single storage space in your home for holiday decor. This will make it easier when it comes time to pack and unpack, and will keep you from having to unpack multiple closets to get to the decorations. If your home doesn’t have enough space to accommodate all of your holiday decorations, consider a small self-storage unit. This will protect your favorite seasonal items and allow using closets in your home for things that you will need to access on a regular basis.
- Use packing supplies. All too often, people hastily throw their decorations into a box, without properly protecting them. Should anything happen to the area where your boxes are stored, such as an earthquake or leak, many of the decorations inside will be susceptible to damage. Here are a few tips to protect your decorations:
- Use bubble wrap or packing paper to protect fragile items like ornaments and figurines. Store them inside a sturdy box that can be stacked.
- Cover items that can be damaged by water, humidity or dust in plastic bags.
Do you have any special tips for storing your holiday items with ease? Let us know below in the comments section.