As one of the fastest growing cities of 2013, it is no wonder you have decided to move to Phoenix! The beautiful southwest has a lot to offer, but there are some things to consider when moving to the Valley of the Sun:
Phoenix may be one of the largest city in the United States, but it is not set up the way most major cities are. It is very spread out so you will want to make sure that you find the most convenient truck rental location and find the best route to your new home. Phoenix has the light rail and a bus system that is very reliable if you live nearby, but if you are going to move to one of the neighboring cities, such as Scottsdale, Chandler or Glendale, public transportation may be difficult to depend on. Consider investing in a car if you don’t already have one. Here are some other tips that are unique to Moving in Phoenix:
- Time of year: If you are moving in the winter, you are not likely to encounter any inclement weather, but summers can be difficult. It is very hot and if you are moving in July or August, you might hit monsoon season. Be sure to check the weather report and plan accordingly
- Assessing your belongings: If you are moving from a cold place to Phoenix, you probably have a lot of heavy winter clothing that won’t be of much use to you. Consider putting them in storage when you arrive or donating them before you leave.
- Moving Help: If you do not know anyone locally,consider hiring some moving laborers to help you. This can really speed up your load and unload time, which you will be thankful for in the summer!
- Packing: Careful when you are packing things that will melt, like candles. The summer heat (and sometimes even winter afternoons) can get warm enough to melt them. Label where those are packed so you can make sure to start with them (you can use Smart Move Tape to help).
- Sunscreen: Whether it is summer or winter, the sun is likely going to be shining. You may not be hot but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a nasty burn. Make sure to apply the sunscreen and reapply throughout the day.
- Air Conditioner: Make sure to have your power turned on at your new home so you can pump that A/C when you start moving. You might be moving in the Fall or Spring, but it can get warm quick so you will want to be prepared. Also make sure the A/C in your car is working well. It will come in handy!
- Daylight Savings Time: It does not exist in Phoenix so don’t worry about changing clocks at any point.
No matter what area of town you decide on, there are fun places to visit. So make sure to enjoy the outdoor malls, water parks and rich melting pot of cultures that Phoenix has to offer. Unsure how to find your new favorite spot? Read this article to see how to find your new favorite restaurant!
Have you moved to the Phoenix area lately? What tips do you have for us? Let us know in the comments below!