Moving–especially long distance–is an exciting time in your life; one that can affect those closest to you. After all of the major details of your move have been decided and set in stone, it’s time to tell your friends, family, and co-workers. Here are some tips on how to announce your move!
Do’s and Dont’s
- DO tell your closest family members first! Your parents and siblings have been by your side your entire life. Make sure you take the time to break the news to them as soon as possible to give them time to prepare emotionally.
- DON’T make a giant announcement on Social Media before telling those closest to you. It may seem like a slap in the face to those who’ve supported and shared life’s biggest moments with you.
- DO inform your boss and co-workers as soon as possible, if it’s not a work-related move or transfer.
- DO make a fun announcement on Social Media when the time comes (and after the aforementioned Do’s and Dont’s). Most of the “friends” you connect with on Social Media will continue to follow you through your future endeavors.
Make it Fun
As previously mentioned, posting a fun announcement to let everyone know you’re moving is a great idea. Here are some ideas on how to create a memorable announcement!
- Use moving boxes as props and Photoshop your announcement onto them. Use phrases such as “We’re Moving!” and include your new address, “Phoenix or Bust” or “Charlotte Bound: One Way Only.”
- Rent a moving truck and park in front of your current home and write “Chicago, here we come!”
- You can also find digital moving announcements on sites like Etsy and Pinterest.
- Once you’re in your new home and settled, send a physical announcement in the mail to close friends and family, with your new address, asking them to come visit soon.
Time to Celebrate
While moving can be bittersweet, it’s a great time to celebrate your achievements and the relationships that you’ve made thus far in your life. Say goodbye to friends and family with a fun-filled going away party!
One Last Hurrah
Before you drive away, leaving memories in the rear-view mirror, enlist the help of your good buddies to help you pack your moving truck. Moving is easier and more fun when friends help out. Order a few pizzas and drinks put on some good music and leave town with another great memory.
Have you announced your move in a fun and creative way? If so, leave them in the comments section below!