Are you ready to move to the school that Princeton Review listed as having the best faculty in America? Sarah Lawrence College is a private liberal arts college that was established in 1926 in Yonkers, New York. With a highly individualized method of education, the school’s motto is “Wisdom with understanding.” Noteworthy graduates of SLC include actors Sigourney Weaver and Jordan Peele, film director J.J. Abrams, fashion designer Vera Wang and countless others. Now before you begin your unforgettable college journey, check out these Sarah Lawrence highlights and moving tips!
Sarah Lawrence is very unique in its approach to education. Alternative to a typical college major, undergraduates are given the chance to take courses in four different curricular distributions:
- Creative arts (writing, dance, theater, film, painting, sculpture, etc.)
- History and social sciences (anthropology, economics, political science and sociology)
- Humanities (art history, film studies, philosophy, religion, literature, etc.)
- Natural science and mathematics (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, etc.)
Unlike many U.S. colleges, students don’t sit in a lecture hall with 100 of their peers at SLC. They spend their time learning in small, interactive seminars with close instruction. Most courses have two parts: the seminar (with no more than 15 students) and the conference. During the conference, students meet with their professors individually and come up with projects that will connect the course material to their interests. That certainly doesn’t sound like any college class I’ve taken!
Sarah Lawrence’s 41-acre campus has numerous student housing buildings, as well as dining and entertainment. There are two distinct sections–“Old Campus” and “New Campus.” The “Old Campus” was standing since the school’s establishment, while the “New Campus” came along much later. There are 23 different living facilities for students, split up into the following categories:
- Tudor-style homes- These were once private estates owned by families that now make great homes for SLC students (examples are Andrews House, Brebner and Mansell)
- Apartment and suite-style rooms- Students have rooms connected by shared bathrooms and common areas (examples are the Westlands, Titsworth and Rothschild)
- All-gender housing-Students can request to share a room and/or bathroom space with someone regardless of gender (Gilbert)
- Specialized housing- Students who have disabilities that keep them from being able to stay in traditional housing may request this
Check out each individual living space at the college here. There are also many student-run locations at Sarah Lawrence such as art galleries, restaurants and places of spiritual exploration. Be sure to check them out when you’re getting settled in!
Moving to Sarah Lawrence College
Moving anywhere, let alone an esteemed school like Sarah Lawrence, can be stressful. The last thing you need is to worry about the well-being of your belongings on the way. With Collegeboxes, you can have your boxed items picked up at your home and shipped to our secure climate controlled storage facility. At Sarah Lawrence, your belongings are actually delivered prior to move-in day, and you don’t need to be present to have them dropped off! A school staff member will open and lock up your room for delivery. If you prefer a road trip with family or friends to your new school, a moving truck or trailer are both great options.
How did you make your move to Sarah Lawrence easier and more fun? Let us know in the comments.