You won’t necessarily need a 26′ U-Haul truck every time you move. In fact, a decent percentage of moves are small and occur just between apartments. Whether you are about to begin dorm life, switch your office space, or help Mom and Dad move into a retirement community, we are here to help! Consider these small scale moving tips below:
Things to Consider
Before you select a vehicle to move with, it’s important to be familiar with your load. Ask yourself a few questions:
- Are you moving in-town or one-way? If your answer is in-town, you can choose between a few different vehicles, including a pickup truck, cargo van or moving truck. If your answer is one-way, you’ll have to go with a moving truck, because pickups and cargo vans are typically only available for in-town rentals.
- How many rooms are you planning on moving? If you have a small 1-2 room apartment with several pieces of furniture, a 10′ U-Haul moving truck is the best way to go. However, you may only be moving a few items out of your parents’ house if you’re just starting out. If this is the case, a pickup truck or cargo van is probably going to work best for you.
- Are you moving a mattress? A cargo van can fit up to a queen size mattress. If you have a king or larger, you can rule out a cargo van and utilize the space of a 10′ truck. Also, a cargo van would probably be better for moving a mattress than a pickup truck. The enclosed rear of a cargo van can protect your mattress from any outdoor elements.
Now that you have a better idea of which vehicle you may need, here is some more information about each truck:
U-Haul has an assortment of trucks to choose from. However, for small scale moving our pickup trucks, cargo vans, and 10 foot moving trucks are your best bets. Depending on the scenario of your move, some trucks may be better suited for you. Here are some truck options:
A U-Haul pickup truck bed measures 7’10” x 5’2″ x 1’9″ (LxWxH). They work great for some small moves. You may only have a few boxes to take with you, and perhaps a couple small pieces of furniture like a desk or side tables. Pickups can also work for office or work studio moves. You may need to transport file cabinets, electronics, or even some comfortable chairs.
Cargo vans provide more space than a pickup. Their inside dimensions are 9’6″ x 5’7″ x 4’7″ (LxWxH). It comes equipped with tie downs and rub rails, so you can secure your belongings for the drive. Remember, a cargo van can hold up to a queen size mattress, and still have room for several boxes. If you’re right on the fence between a pickup truck and a cargo van, you may want to go with a cargo van to be safe.
A U-Haul 10′ moving truck allows for a typical “small move,” with the right amount of space for an apartment to apartment moving. Its inside dimensions are 9’11” x 6’4″ x 6’2″ (LxWxH). The height of this truck gives much more space for taller furniture and stacking boxes, compared to a cargo van or a pickup. College students with a bit more space or suite-style rooms will love the extra accommodation a 10′ truck presents. It’s also a great option for downsizing parents into a retirement home.
Regardless of which vehicle you need, renting with U-Haul Truck Share is the quickest and easiest way to get behind the wheel. This 24/7 self-service program allows you to reserve, pick up, and drop off your moving truck or van using just your smartphone and an internet connection. If you’ve already reserved your truck, you can easily convert it into a Self-Pick-Up rental.
Loading and Unloading
After you have decided which mode of transportation you are going with, it’s time to load.
- Begin with heavy/bulky appliances and furniture
- Load all heavy boxes on the floor of your vehicle
- Tie down your belongings as you go so they stay right where they ought to be
- Label boxes by room as you are packing to make it simple to unpack when you reach your destination
Don’t have time to do all this yourself? No problem! For large and small scale moves, we offer services such as Moving Help® that will safely move your items for you. All you have to do is sign up!
What other advice do you have for making a small move? Share below!
UPDATED: October 31, 2017 to incorporate U-Haul Truck Share 24/7