For many of us, our garage becomes a place to store items that we no longer need or want. The piles continue to build and before you know it, there is no room in the garage! Good news, this clutter doesn’t have to be permanent. Organizing your garage is simple when done correctly using the right supplies. Follow these tips for organizing your garage.
1. Start Fresh
First and foremost, start with a clean slate. Before taking any physical action, visualize in your head what your end goal is and what you want your garage to look like. Doing this will make the whole process much easier once you start.
Now that you have a solid vision, the fun can begin. Start by emptying your garage completely. Trust us, you’ll find stuff in there you didn’t even know existed.
Don’t have anywhere to put this stuff that you are going to clear out of your garage? Store it on-site at your home in a U-Box container.
Pro tip: If there are vehicles in your garage, temporarily park them somewhere outside the garage like the driveway or in front of the house. That way, you’ll have enough room to unload and use all the space that you need.
2. Sort & Categorize:
Once you have cleared everything out of the garage, you are ready to start organizing your items.
Place your items into four organized piles:
- Storage- These are the items you’d like to hang on to but can go to a storage unit instead of sitting in the garage. We recommend these items be placed in our clear plastic containers for storage.
- Donate- No longer need it but think someone else might use it? Throw it in the donate pile!
- Keep- Only put items in this pile that belong in your garage once it’s organized. These should be frequent or occasional use items that don’t have a spot in your home but also don’t belong in a storage unit.
- Trash- This should be your biggest pile! Throw away all those damaged, old, broken, or otherwise useless items into your trash pile.
3. Bins & Containers
Those piles aren’t going to organize themselves, but we have just the right supplies to make it easier!
After everything has been placed in the appropriate box or container, move it aside until it is ready to go to its final destination whether it be a local donation center, storage unit or back in your garage.
Finally, it is time to put it all together! Remember the vision that you had when you first decided on organizing your garage? It’s time to bring it to life.
Even though you’re probably ready to be done with this project, be sure to take your time when putting it all back. Afterall, this is the most important step!
- Make sure to place commonly used items between waist level and eye level.
- Organize your items by placing things like seasonal items together that way you know where everything is.
- Label all boxes and containers accordingly
If all of this seems like a lot to do, don’t worry; you can take it in steps. One weekend, get rid of the things you don’t need and repack those that you do. The next weekend, install some shelves or pegboard. After that, you can put all of your items into their new neat and organized home.
Now that you have the best tips for organizing your garage, what are you waiting for? Start organizing your garage today!